#8 Turn Something Ordinary into Something Beautiful..




Some day in October, sat watching 'Hoarders'…


Other half: "You're a hoarder."

Me: "No I'm not"

Other half: "Yes you are, you hoard jars."

Me: "Not really". 

Other half: "Who else do you know that has 12 jars sat on their desk right now?"

Me: "I have plans for them". 

Other half: "what plans?"

Me: "I'm gonna make them into tea light holders." 

Other half: "Go on then. Do it now."



You will need..

- Jars. As many as you wish, any shape and size.
- Sticky stuff remover (recommended) 
- Alphabet stickers
- Ribbon
- Spray paint. Any colour/effect you want. (I've used black chalkboard and chrome spray paint)
- Scalpel/craft knife
- Tea lights
- Sand (optional)









First of all, clean the jars so there are no sticky bits left from the labels, ('Sticky stuff remover' is amazing for this).
Make sure they are clean and dry and then you can use stickers to write or create pictures onto your jar. 

I've been following 'Gypsy Warrior's' Instagram recently and loving all they're lovely magical words and sayings - hence my chosen words for my tea light jars.. 'Moon Child' (Really want the pillow cases they do of this!), 'Luna' and 'Magic'. 

To get the words straight I tied a piece of ribbon around the jar as a guide. 
I then set up a little make shift spray booth in my kitchen using tape and bin liners (fancy!), If you can, I'd probably advise doing this outside. I used the black on one, silver on the other and then played with a mix of both on the last one.
(Have a practice on a spare jar so you don't get any drips or anything!)

Once the paint has completely dried, use a craft knife or scalpel to peel off the stickers. Also if the paint has creeped under the stickers at all, you can neaten this up by scratching off the paint with the knife. 

Aaannnd that's pretty much it. I put sand in the bottom of mine so the tea lights have something to nestle in. (Useful if your chosen jars have a domed bottom, which a lot of them do). I also splashed out on some scented tea lights, these 'Fireside Treats' ones from Yankee are amazing. 

Will be doing lots more DIY type posts this year so let me know what you think of this one, either on here or on Facebook. Also if you are new to this blog, check out my first post about 'The Jar Project'. x 







No comments:

Post a Comment