Life in a Jar

My boyfriend of 5 years has completely cut off all contact with me.
I have just had to have my darling persian cat put down and I am currently stuck in a part-time, dead end job. 
It is only 4 weeks into January 2014 and I have lost the two absolute loves of my life. 

So, to save myself from staring at the wall feeling terrified of life, I have come up with an idea in an attempt to save myself. 

The Jar Project


This idea is actually inspired by my mother. 
When I was about 5 years old, I have memories of my mother writing all the chores and jobs she needed to do on to tiny pieces of paper, folding them up and putting them into a mug. Throughout the day she would pick out one of these tiny pieces of folded paper at random and carry out whichever task was written down. (She used to let me pick sometimes too which sort of made it into a fun game, I also loved the 'swishy' sound the bits of paper made when you shook it around).

The other day, having no motivation, I found myself for the first time in my life doing the same thing. Writing jobs I needed to do on to tiny pieces of paper and putting them into my favourite mug. I then thought to myself, if I only put in jobs and chores, I am never going to actually put my hand in and pick anything out, let alone do what it says. 
I started writing other things down I'd quite like to do.. then random things, simple things..fun things and other quite far-fetched activities. 
I started thinking, why can't I apply this to every aspect of my life? 

I found a glass Kilner jar and wrote everything with a black marker on to pretty pink post-its, folded them up and put them into the jar. From things like 'Drink a pint of water', 're-organise wardrobe', to 'Get a tattoo' and 'Try MMA fighting' (something I've always wanted to do is learn how to fight). 
So basically every time I find myself sitting on my bed staring at the wall or looking longingly at my phone, I have to pick a post-it out of the jar and do it, no matter what. 




This blog will document my 'Jar Project' journey as well as other interests or experiences I have. 

What do you think of this idea? Have you tried anything like this before? And what coping mechanisms have you used when your life has gone 'tits-up'?




5 comments:

  1. So overwhelmed with the response of Facebook guys - this post has only been up about 2 hours and people are already starting their own jars. Please tag everything you do with "thejarproject" so I can follow every bodies progress. Amazing guys - Embrace the lonely life!

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152074529566492&set=a.86326406491.83826.657731491&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you lovey! Please follow and please keep me updated if you do it! XX @ANIKA MILLER

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I should do this!

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous :) please let me know how you get on!

      Please like and share guys !

      https://www.facebook.com/embracethelonelylife

      xxxx

      Delete